Toys and Games
- Puzzlets – Teach coding in a fun scaffolded way! DigitalDreamLabLLC – Cork the Volcano is currently out and two new packs are available to reserve on Kickstarter. After the game “Cork the Volcano” - I cannot wait to see what is next. DDL knows how to incorporate fun and learning
- Allow not only for individual space for reflection and creative thinking, but also for social activities such as girl scouts/boy scouts, extracurricular activities, and of course organized group sports and clubs
- Give kids the opportunity to flex their executive functioning skills, with games such as Rush Hour or category games to improve organizational activities.
- More complex models and Lego sets – using the ability to visualize and construct 3D models out of 2D directives
- Again – more refined investigative toys – microscopes, chemistry sets, and telescopes
- Scavenger Hunts with clues
- Obstacle Courses or Hikes following a map
- Book clubs
- Family Game nights – playing cards or board games. Let the older children teach the younger ones how to play - allowing for the success of younger ones too.
- Magic tricks and practical joke items
- Touch Press Games All Access Pass is a fantastic way to play multiple educational Games that are truly fun and addictive – many are in a multiplayer mode to play with friends. Habitactics and Crafty Cut are my current faves.
- The Foos - an award-winning game by Code Spark that teaches basic coding to build your own games
- Pixel Press Technology - Bloxels is also a game creation app – working in pixels to create challenging game worlds
- Math Doodles - Daren Carstens apps are totally addictive fun that teaches kids how to think in a logically organized manner. “Math is fun” is Mr. Carstens’ motto…and it is. There are 3 apps in this series - each one is a gem.
- Artgig Studio always has fun up their sleeves with a series of apps mainly focusing on math, but also have fun language art apps in their suite. Mystery Math Museum and Marble Math to name a few.
- Everything Machine is just one of many superior apps from Tinybop
- Fablevision, Terc and Learning Games Network – Zoombinis app has been a favorite of our household since it was a computer. Seeing new generations play it has been thrilling.
- The Numberlys – by Moonbot is extraordinary in all its forms - the app, book, and AR companion app
- Demografix pty ltd – Ghost Type – a typing tutor to master your iPad typing skills
- Building a whole universe packed full of learning opportunities, are the e-books by Eiry Rees Thomas on the FlitWits by Seldom Sea. There are 3 books in the series: The Funny Fair, A Ferry to Airy, and A Shine Show Shock